The Eco Warriors consist of a group of 10 children represented by all the school years ranging from class 1 to class 6. We meet regularly to discuss ways in which the school can become more environmentally friendly.
- To implement ways for the school to be eco-friendly, considering the 10 topics highlighted by Green Flag i.e. Water, Electricity, Waste, Litter, Biodiversity, School Grounds, Transport, Energy and Healthy Living. Marine is the NEW topic introduced by Green Flag.
- To educate the children on environment awareness, and how we can consciously take steps to help the environment, promoting sound environment behaviour in school and at home.
- St Michaels currently holds a Green Flag Silver award.
Welcome our new members to the Eco Warriors 2019/2020!
Switch off Fortnight
What have we done?
- September – We collected plastic clear and green bottles (2 litres, 1 litres and 500ml) to help create a Lumiere art exhibit. The children also took part in a workshop to help create the light chandelier that was on display, which was called the ‘Bottle Festoon’. Many children were able to go and see it and send in photos, which are now included in our Eco Warrior book.
- October – The Eco’s made an Eco Code to go on our display for the whole school to see, they also made individual promises they wish to uphold this year.
- November – Eco Warriors and the whole school took part in ‘Switch Off Fortnight’, a national campaign to help use reduce our energy use. The Eco Warriors delivered this message in a school assembly and completed an audit before and after the campaign. The Eco’s were also paired up and every lunchtime they completed a light monitoring sheet on their set days, to ensure all classes were turning off their lights. The whole school also completed a ‘switch off afternoon’, going a whole afternoon without any electricity (lights, computers or projectors). The children thoroughly enjoyed this and we were able to reduce our energy use greatly, as shown by our audit results in our Eco book.
- December – The Eco Warriors completed an Environmental Review to find out which areas we need to focus on as a school, from that the children put forward ideas of things we could do throughout the year, these were inputted into our Action Plan. Both of these documents are present on our Eco Display.
- January – The children planted trees outside of school to help combat climate change, all the children were thrilled to get their hands dirty for a worthy cause.
- January – New posters were put up in each class, hall and library, highlighting what can be put in the recycling bin and what needs to go into the normal bin.
Archived Eco Council
You can view archived Eco Council events and information on our website.