At St. Michael’s we have four Family Groups chosen by the children:
Every child is part of a family group. Brothers and sisters are in the same family group. We meet once a month and look at our rights and responsibilities; British Values and current affairs. We earn points for our family groups
- We have chosen our own family group names
- We researched Saints and their qualities
- We voted for our favourite
- We created our own family group crests
- We worked with Mrs Bruton and one of our volunteers Brian, to create the crests with symbols from different children
- We have created our own family group charters
- We have sorted what is our right and what is our responsibility
In our Family Group sessions each month, we learn about and explore the different British Values.
We talked about Democracy, what it meant and how we use opportunities for democracy in our school. We spoke about how our country is governed and the importance of voting. The children were then shown some made up ‘candidates’ who were putting themselves forward to be Prime Minister. The children were presented with their statements for what they would change if they were Prime Minister. There was lots of valuable discussion about each candidate and children were able to share their opinions on what they thought about each candidate. The children then filled in their ‘ballot paper’ and voted for their chosen candidate.