Children will be given a list of spellings at the beginning of each half term that they are expected to practise at home. They will then be tested on the relevant weekly spellings on Friday morning. In addition to the spellings on the list, the children may also be asked to spell two ‘unseen’ words that follow the spelling rule. This ensures their understanding of that rule.
You can help your child learn their spellings by:
- breaking the words down into chunks
- looking for patterns
- looking for familiar words within words
- writing them down
- writing them in a sentence
- spelling them out loud
- getting them to visualise the spelling in their mind
- getting them to spot errors
- asking them to think of other words that follow the same rule
Please find below a copy of each class’s spelling lists for Autumn 2021 (Year 2 upwards):
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.